Back in January I fitted a new loft hatch so we could get into our loft easily. Since then I've put a few things up there but I've been holding out on using it much until I got it boarded out - not a job I was looking forward to!
This Saturday came and my usual Saturday work was cancelled so I thought I might as well get it done. I didn't want to board the whole thing, just an area down the middle so some boxes could be stored up there.
The main problem was the insulation. Ours is quite thick and laid double thickness. I first had to roll the top layer back and add some 4x2s running perpendicular to the joist. Once these were fixed in place I relaid the insulation between the timbers (this way it's not being squashed so doesn't loose it's efficiency) before laying the boards.
|Three bloody great tanks made out of galv steel about 1/4" thick - no chance of getting these down until I do something major to the roof!|
It took about half a day to do all this but I did have a mate round for an hour just to pass the boards up to me.
This means that baby stuff can now be on rotation a little more rather than just hanging around while we wait for baby number two to grow into it! Also some of my old books are going up here because I will be soon loosing the spare room as my office due to having more people than we do rooms!
A good storage space but one we need to be careful that we don't keep things up there just for the sake of keeping them!