Ever since I put the fence posts in with my dad a few years ago he's been on at me to cap the tops of the larger telegraph poles that we used as gate and corner posts.
I know he's right on this one, left they start to rot from the middle out as the preservative is near the outside of the post.
Around the same time I saved a load of lead from a roof I was repairing to do the job, but never got round to using it!
This weekend I finally managed to get the job done. Pretty simple and it didn't take long, I just cut out some circles of lead with snips, bashed it round the top of the posts and fixed it in place using a few copper nails.